EALD (English as an Additional Language or Dialect) Support is available for students who have recently arrived from overseas. These students may be migrants or international (fee-paying) students. This support includes:
- EALD classes in Years 7 and 8 as an alternative to studying Chinese/Spanish
- ENL (English for ESL Learners) subject in Years 10, 11 and 12
- EALD teachers supporting EALD learners and their teachers through in-class support
- EALD advice to teachers on resources and strategies
- EALD tutorials at Recess
- Wednesday Period 4 tutorials for Years 10, 11 and 12 (Compulsory for Year 11 in Semester 1; negotiated after that time)
Indooroopilly State High School offers intensive support to students who require English language support in Junior Secondary (Years 7 to Year 9). Applicants sit an English proficiency test at their enrolment interview in order to assess language needs to ensure appropriate support can be provided. Recommendations for support are then made from the results of the proficiency test. This is at the Principal’s discretion.
EALD students in our mainstream are supported by EALD teachers who work closely with class teachers and provide in-class support and additional English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. Tutorial assistance is provided to students individually and in groups when necessary. This comprehensive assistance builds success for the students in their regular classes.
Our EALD Department has been most influential in developing and maintaining a harmonious and integrated multicultural environment at our school. Each year our diversity is celebrated with our special United Nations Day Festival.
Katie Bailey – Head of Department Learning & Teaching and EALD on firstname.lastname@example.org or
Nandini Bhakta – EALD Coordinator on email@example.com